The state employment application and information about other state employment opportunities are available on the Virginia Department of Human Resource Management website at http://jobs.virginia.gov.
Please note that employment applications will only be accepted online through http://jobs.virginia.gov.
E-Verify Notice:After accepting employment, new hires are required to complete an I-9 form and present documentation of their identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Effective June 1, 2011, agencies in the Commonwealth of Virginia's Executive Branch will use the E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization.
VDEM Reservist Cadre • Program Overview
What is the Reservist Cadre Program?
When the Virginia Department of Emergency Management's permanent staff is not available to support extended response and recovery operations during major disasters and emergencies, the Reservist Cadre Program provides additional personnel to support the state's actions in a disaster or as needed.
What positions are currently available?
We are currently accepting applications for all reservist positions.
Who should apply?
Any qualified adult who can commit the time and has the flexibility to be deployed anywhere in the state. It is preferred that Prospective Reservists have completed the following FEMA Independent Study Courses: 100.a - Introduction to ICS (Incident Command System), 200.a - ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incident, 700.a - National Incident Management System (NIMS) - An Introduction, and 800.b - National Response Framework – An Introduction. The link for this training is http://www.training.fema.gov.
What are the qualifications?
VDEM looks for the following qualifications when reviewing applications for the Reservist Program:
- Knowledge of federal, state, local policies and procedures including principles of emergency management.
- Must possess computer and data entry skills and have experience with Microsoft office products.
- Demonstrated abilities to coordinate and manage a wide range of functions under high stress conditions.
- Ability to research, analyze and manage detailed information.
- Ability to organize and coordinate multiple tasks and prepare reports.
- Ability to work independently.
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with the public and government officials. Fluency in writing and speaking Spanish is a plus.
Successful applicants, following appropriate orientation and training, must be available for duty on short notice and willing to travel overnight. A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record is required. Must be able to pass a fingerprint-based criminal history check.
How can I apply?
Complete a state application from https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp. Once you have completed the online application, print it out and mail it to:
Virginia Department of Emergency Management
Human Resources Office
10501 Trade Court
Richmond, VA 23236-3713