National Incident Management System
The National Incident Management System, approved March 1, 2004, establishes standard incident management processes, protocols and procedures so that all local, state, federal and private sector emergency responders can coordinate their responses, share a common focus and place full emphasis on resolving the event. All local governments and state agencies must comply with NIMS to be eligible for federal preparedness assistance.
Now available: NIMS implementation guidance for schools and higher education institutions (posted July 31, 2008)
NIMS Fiscal Year 2010 Compliance
- NIMS Compliance Refere nce Training Chart [100 kb PDF]
- FY 2010 NIMS Implementation Objectives [ 1 mb PDF]
- NIMS Implementation Chart [45 mb PDF]
Additional NIMS Resources
- NIMSCAST: FEMA and the NIC Incident Management Systems Integration Division have released a Web-based self-assessment system that will allow state and local departments and agencies evaluate their preparedness and response capabilities against the requirements of the NIMS. Local emergency managers should contact VDEM for official access to their accounts. Contact VDEM for NIMSCAST access.
- NIMS Implementation for Nongovernmental Organizations Fact Sheet [46kb PDF]
- NIMS Implementation for Private Sector Fact Sheet[opens in a new browser window]
- NIMS State and Local Compliance Activities, Federal Fiscal Year 2006 [152kb PDF]
- Executive Order 102: Virginia officially adopts NIMS [1.5mb PDF]
- A NIMS independent study-training course, available at http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is700.asp, explains the system's purpose, principles, key components and benefits. The course requires approximately 45 minutes to 3 hours to complete.
- In addition to the Fact Sheet cited above, VDEM has developed a template for local government use [29 kb Word doc] in adopting NIMS.
- VDEM has also developed a NIMS Training and Exercises Template [60kb PDF] to be used as a guide for 2006 NIMS compliance.
- ICS Training Template [917kb PDF]
- The most commonly used ICS forms [324kb Word doc] may be downloaded here. These forms may be modified as necessary.
- A free ICS form electronic program is available at http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/oilaids/ICS/ICS.html.
- The National Integration Center Incident Management Systems Integration Division, established June 1, 2004, provides strategic direction and oversight of NIMS. The NIC will develop and facilitate national standards for NIMS education and training as well as refine the system over time.
- Tools are available to guide local and state officials in modifying their Emergency Operations Plans and Standard Operating Procedures to align with NIMS concepts and terminology at:
For more information about NIMS, contact
Training and Curriculum Development Manager/ NIMS POC
Office of Training & Exercises
Fax (804) 897-6576