FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DICKENSON COUNTY GETS $76,000
WISE, Va. – Dickenson County will receive $76,868 to help repair public facilities damaged by storms and flooding. The funds come from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) and are available because of the April 3 disaster declaration made by President Bush.
FEMA’s Public Assistance program enables governmental entities and certain private non-profits to apply for help with the cost of repairing or replacing disaster-damaged infrastructure to its pre-disaster condition. Eligible costs include those associated with debris removal, emergency protective measures and repairing or replacing disaster-damaged roads, bridges, public buildings and other facilities.
A total of 11 projects in the county have been deemed eligible for state and federal disaster assistance, according to disaster recovery officials. The majority of these projects involve grading road surfaces, replacing surface and base materials, cleaning and reshaping ditches, and replacing concrete low-water crossings. For eligible projects, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the costs and the state and locality will share the remaining 25 percent.
Some projects in Dickenson County include: cleanup at the Bear Pen Recreation Area; replacement of the Elkins Curve Bridge; repairs to the Steinman Bridge on the McClure River; and repairs to several county roads that access state routes.
In addition to repairing or replacing damaged infrastructure, the Public Assistance program also can help pay for measures that, when implemented, will reduce or prevent damage in future floods. These measures are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Several such projects are being completed in Dickenson County. One example is the repairs to Rakes Ridge Road. At this site, a washed-out culvert will be replaced by a larger culvert that will allow more water to flow under the road during a flood event.
Be ready. Be willing to help.
Virginia Disaster Relief Fund
How is the money distributed?
Fund proceeds will be distributed to local long-term recovery groups, members of the Virginia Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster and other non-profit and faith-based organizations as a grant.
Many of these groups work directly with individuals and families following a disaster.
How else can I donate?
The Virginia Disaster Relief Fund benefits projects that include: repair or rebuilding of underinsured dwellings, transportation assistance, replacing essential household items, helping renters establish new rental residence, temporary living expenses while recovering from loss, and more.
How can I donate?
If you want to help, send checks made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia with “Virginia Disaster Relief Fund” noted in the memo line to:
P.O. Box 1971
Richmond, VA 23218-1971