How to Apply for Federal Assistance
Apply for federal disaster assistance
If your city or county is determined to be eligible for federal disaster assistance, you will need to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for help.
To register for federal disaster assistance, call FEMA at 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585 or apply online at www.disasterassistance.gov.
When applying, you will need:
- Your Social Security Number
- Current and pre-disaster address
- A telephone number where you can be reliably contacted
- Names of insurance companies for homeowner’s, flood, and car insurance
- Total household annual income
- A routing and account number for direct bank deposit. Using direct deposit usual means your financial assistance will arrive more quickly and it cannot be lost or stolen from the mail. However, using direct deposit is not required.
Note: FEMA verifies the name and social security number of those registering for disaster assistance.
After registering with FEMA, FEMA sends an inspector to the damaged residence to inspect and verify losses. FEMA will provide details about the inspection visit during registration.