Mineral Earthquake recovery

More information is available in Disaster Recovery

Residents statewide who have experienced structural damage between Aug. 23 and Oct. 25 as a result of the Mineral earthquake and aftershocks should report it to their local emergency management office.  A statewide list is available here.

Federal assistance for individuals approved

  • The Individual Assistance program has been approved by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for residents of these counties: Culpeper, Fluvanna, Goochland, Louisa, Orange and Spotsylvania.  Individual Assistance is also available for residents of Fredericksburg.
  • Under this program, grants, low-interest loans, disaster housing assistance and other forms of help are available for homeowners, renters and businesses with damage from the Aug. 23 earthquake and its aftershocks. 
  • If you live in the designated localities and have earthquake damage, please call this number toll-free to register for assistance: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).  Those with speech disabilities or hearing loss who use TTY should call 1-800-462-7585.  Operators are available to help you seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. 
  • You also can apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.  If you are using a mobile device, visit m.fema.gov.
  • You must register with FEMA even if you already reported your damage to your local emergency manager.

If you need help:

  • Register for FEMA assistance:

The deadline to register is March 5, 2012

800-621-FEMA (3362)
TTY: 800-462-7585
Learn more about federal disaster assistance here.

Frequently Asked Questions for homeowners

  • Check with local social services department or local emergency manager to find out if agencies and organizations in your area are offering help.
  • Call 211, which is a 24/7 service by the Virginia Department of Social Services.  Operators can help answer questions from citizens and also have access to resources that may be available.
  • Some voluntary organizations are responding to specific needs in communities.  Local emergency managers usually know which organizations are working in their communities.  A statewide list of emergency management offices is available here

If you want to help, learn more about donating and volunteering during disasters.

Local governments receive federal assistance.

Several localities have been approved to receive federal Public Assistance from FEMA to help them with their costs of responding to and recovering from the earthquake.   
Federal assistance approved for local governments