Pet Health & Well Being
Helping your pets recover
Walk pets on a leash until they become re-oriented to their home - often familiar scents and landmarks may be altered and pets could easily be confused and become lost. Also, downed power lines, reptiles brought in with high water and debris can all pose a threat for animals after a disaster.
If pets cannot be found after a disaster, contact the local animal control office to find out where lost animals can be reclaimed. Bring along a picture of your pet if possible.
After a disaster, animals can become aggressive or defensive - monitor their behavior.
Visit the links below for more information. All links open in a new browser window.
- Find pet-friendly lodging in your area
- Saving The Whole Family - The American Veterinary Medical Association
Lots of links to disaster preparedness sites for pets and animals
- FEMA: Animals and Emergencies
- Pets and Disaster: Be Prepared
from the American Red Cross
- Humane Society of the United States: Disaster Center
- Disaster Preparedness for Animals
from the Virginia Federation of Humane Societies