Continuity of Operations is an effort within individual agencies to ensure they can continue to perform mission essential functions during a disruption of normal operations.
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management’s State Planning Assistance Branch offers guidance and support to the Commonwealth of Virginia’s executive branch agencies and institutions of higher education as they develop, refine and test their continuity plans.
VDEM would like to thank the members of the State Continuity Planning Work Group from the following agencies for their guidance and assistance in revising the Continuity Plan Template:
- The Office of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security
- The Virginia Community College System
- Tidewater Community College
- The Virginia Information Technologies Agency
- The Department of Planning and Budget
- The Department of Accounts
- Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
For more information, please contact:
Robert S. Coates
Continuity Planning Specialist
State Planning Assistance Branch
Donna M. Pletch
State Planning Assistance Program Manager
State Continuity Planning Resources
VDEM Continuity Plan Template [234 kb docx]
Mission Essential Function Identification Worksheets [18 kb docx]
The worksheets from the Guide to Identifying Mission Essential Functions are provided in Word format here so they may be filled in electronically.
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management's Local Planning Assistance Branch offers guidance and support to local jurisdictions in the Commonwealth of Virginia
For more information, please Contact:
Local Planning Assistance Program Manager
Continuity of Operations ensures the stability of essential functions through a wide range of emergencies and disasters. Today’s changing threat environment and recent natural and man-made emergencies demonstrate the need for COOP capabilities and plans at the local, state and federal levels.
§ 44-146.18 of the Code of Virginia places VDEM in charge of providing guidance and assistance to state agencies and local governments in developing and maintaining COOP programs, plans and systems.
Executive Order 41 (2011) requires that each executive branch agency including institutions of higher education with guidance from their Emergency Coordination Officer:
- Create or update Continuity of Operation Plans to conform to the template produced by the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, and
- Utilize the resources available from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management for creating or updating Continuity of Operations Plans.
The process of creating or updating Continuity of Operations Plans shall be completed by April 1 of each year, with an electronic copy sent to the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.