No Existing Account
Students Who Do Not Have an Existing Knowledge Center account
Please print this sheet before proceeding.
- Type the following address into your web browser: https://covkc.virginia.gov/vdem/external.
- Click on the Register link.
- Select I am a non-state employee, entering the site for the first time and Submit.
- Fill out the personal information to register for an account. The information is required for the system to differentiate between users.
- Enter your manager’s name and click Search. If you do not have a manager, you still must go through the motion of searching. The system will then allow you to select the Checkbox for unable to select a manager. Click Next.
- Select Dept of Emergency Management – External as your organization and click Next.
- Enter your Job Title in the Search text box and click Search. If your Job Title is not found, click the Checkbox for unable to select a job title. Click Next.
- Select your Affiliation and Reason for Access from the drop-downs. Depending on your response to these questions, the Federal Agency/Organization and County ID drop-downs may become mandatory. Click the Create button.
- You will receive an e-mail with your login ID and temporary password at the address you provided during registration. This may take up to two working days.
- At this point you are a registered user of the system, but you are not enrolled in a course. You must enroll in your desired course(s) separately (see below).
To enroll in a course, follow the below steps:
Using the login ID and password provided, log in to the system (you will need to set your permanent password upon first login).
- Scroll over Learning Center, then click on Course Catalog.
- Type an appropriate entry into the Search Text block at the top of the page, and click Search.
- TIP: If you do not find the desired results, try using a different keyword, or use VDEM as a generic keyword to find all VDEM courses.
- Scroll to the desired course and click on the hyperlinked course title. The screen will then show the schedule for that course.
- Click on the hyperlinked section title (course location). You may then click the Enroll or Request Access button. Request Access courses have prerequisites associated with them. Be sure to check the course description for instructions on submitting the prerequisites. Access will be automatically granted upon submission of prerequisites and administrator approval.