FY 2011 Emergency Management Program Grant (EMPG) Competitive Grant Program
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) is pleased to announce the availability of $1,100,000 (statewide) for the FY2011 Emergency Management Performance (EMPG) Competitive Grant Program opportunity for local governments. This grant is available to Cities, Counties and those Towns recognized as emergency management jurisdictions under Title 44 of the Code of Virginia.
The grant opportunity is to support local emergency management programs with an emphasis on enhancing local Emergency Operations Center (EOC) functionality and shelter capacity across the Commonwealth. Priorities for grant funding will be given to projects:
- To bolster sheltering capability and capacity across the Commonwealth
- To fill gaps in local EOC capacity and capability by providing basic EOC equipment and systems where none exists and to enhance existing local EOC capability.
- Specifically excluded from this grant will be construction projects other than to make an EOC generator ready, and the purchase of generators.
- Any other allowable expenditure to enhance local emergency management programs.
- This grant requires a one to one local match, which may be in kind. (For example: If a locality is awarded $10,000 in grant funds, they must match this with $10,000 in local funds or in-kind match.)
- OBLIGATION DEADLINE: Funds awarded under this grant must be obligated by 8/31/2012 and must be paid out by 9/30/2012.
- This is a reimbursement grant.
- Localities may submit projects in more than one category, but the cumulative award to any one locality will not exceed $50,000. A separate project proposal form will be required for each project.
If you have any questions concerning the application process please contact the VDEM grant specialist for your region at (804) 897-6500, or by email listed below:
VDEM Regions 1, 2: Amy Wright email@example.com
VDEM Regions 3, 4, 7: Paulette McWaters firstname.lastname@example.org
VDEM Region 5: Jocelyn Bagby email@example.com
VDEM Region 6: Kerry Stuver Kerry.firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are required to complete a project proposal form for each project. The links to the project proposal form and guidelines are provided below. This required form must be submitted to be considered for this grant. Submission of the project proposal form does not guarantee funding. Any locality that is selected for an award will be required to complete a grant application, check all purchases against the allowable equipment list (www.rkb.us) and follow the administrative guidelines found on www.vaemergency.com/grants/forms/Admin_Guide_Best_Practices.pdf after being notified. Applicants are responsible for meeting all DHS/FEMA eligibility requirements, including those related to NIMS compliance.
Please ensure that all forms are complete and submitted on or before Friday, December 30, 2011 COB (5 p.m.) Late submissions cannot be considered.
Completed project proposal forms should be sent electronically to:
Project Proposal Form and Guidelines:
Project Proposal Form
Additional technical questions may be directed to the VDEM Grants Management Office at 804-897-6500.
Be ready. Be willing to help.
Virginia Disaster Relief Fund
How is the money distributed?
Fund proceeds will be distributed to local long-term recovery groups, members of the Virginia Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster and other non-profit and faith-based organizations as a grant.
Many of these groups work directly with individuals and families following a disaster.
How else can I donate?
The Virginia Disaster Relief Fund benefits projects that include: repair or rebuilding of underinsured dwellings, transportation assistance, replacing essential household items, helping renters establish new rental residence, temporary living expenses while recovering from loss, and more.
How can I donate?
If you want to help, send checks made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia with “Virginia Disaster Relief Fund” noted in the memo line to:
P.O. Box 1971
Richmond, VA 23218-1971