Bill Mahoney joined Virginia Department of Emergency Management in 2016 and currently serves as Director of the Planning Division. Before joining VDEM, he served nearly 30 years of Senior Military Officer experience in development and implementation of disaster (CBRN—Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear) policies and procedures for management of developing countermeasure policies; analyzing, developing, and reviewing major technical reports related to public health and medical preparedness and response. Directed critical/crisis logistics, facilities, operations, and acquisitions, to include synthesizing complex, strategic concepts into operational processes, organization of divergent policies, higher-level oversight, technologies, and guidance.
Positions and Accomplishments:
-Several positions in the United States Army to include:
- Deputy Commander, USAR Consequence Management Unit.
- Future Operation Planner
- Director, State Partnership Program – Tajikistan
- Commander, Civil Support Team (WMD)
- Operations Officer
- MBA, American Military University
- BA (Geology/Chemistry), SUNY at Cortland
- AS (Science), Valley Forge Military College
- Numerous professional certifications
Bill is married and has two children. He is an avid soccer enthusiast, skier and enjoys the outdoors.