Before you apply for federal assistance
- Contact your insurance agent to find out what your policy will cover. Federal disaster assistance cannot duplicate insurance payments.
- Keep receipts for goods and services you purchase to recover from the disaster.
- Document damages by taking pictures or by making a video if you can.
Apply for federal disaster assistance
If your area has been declared a federal disaster area and the president has approved assistance for individuals, you need to register with FEMA.
- Call 1-800-621-3362 (TTY: 1-800-462-7585)
- Go online www.disasterassistance.gov.
To register, you will need:
- Your Social Security Number.
- Current and pre-disaster address.
- A telephone number where you can be reached.
- Homeowner’s, flood and car insurance providers.
- Total household annual income.
- A routing and account number for direct bank deposit (optional).
After you register, FEMA will send an inspector to the damaged residence to inspect and verify losses.
FEMA may open Disaster Recovery Centers to provide information about loans and grants, legal matters and other ways to recover.