A heat wave is an extended period of extreme heat, often with high humidity. These conditions can be dangerous and even life-threatening without proper precautions.
Stay safe in the heat
- Prepare for a heat wave by checking to see if your home’s cooling system is working properly.
- Make sure your home is well insulated and that you have weather stripping around your doors and window sills to keep the cool air inside.
- Plan on being inside a cool building during the hottest time of the day.
- Avoid strenuous outdoor activities.
- Make sure you stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and limiting alcoholic drinks.
- Dress in light, loose-fitting clothing.
- Never leave children or pets alone in a closed vehicle for any amount of time
See more extreme heat safety tips from the Virginia Department of Health.