Winters in Virginia can mean snow or subfreezing temperatures, strong winds or icy rain storms. Winter weather can knock out heat, power and communications services to your home or office, and sometimes for days at a time.
Get your home ready for winter weather
- Know the terms:
- There are warnings, watches and advisories for winter weather, freezing rain and wind chill. Learn what they mean at the National Weather Service.
- Thoroughly check and update your family’s emergency supply kit before winter approaches. Include warm clothing and blankets.
- Fill your car’s gas tank.
- The safest place during winter weather is inside.
- If you have a wood burning fireplace, consider storing wood to keep you warm if winter weather knocks out your heat.
- Be safe when using generators and space heaters.
- Keep a car emergency kit.
Know the road conditions before you leave