Virginia Businesses Can Get Ready Now for Emergencies
Tropical storms and hurricanes, bomb threats, flooding, droughts, tornados, power outages. All types of emergencies can strike Virginia. Is your business ready? Some studies show that up to 40% of businesses do not reopen after a disaster.
Make sure that you and your employees are prepared, starting with these steps:
- Make a building evacuation plan and practice it regularly.
- Look at your heating, ventilation and air conditioning system. Be sure you know how to turn it off if you need to. Also, is the system secure, or can it be upgraded to better filter potential contaminants?
- Think about what to do if your employees can’t go home.
- Make sure you have appropriate supplies on hand.
- See short video on why small businesses need a continuity plan View in FEMA Multimedia Library