Be Safe during the Holiday Season
Don’t be too busy to be safe during the holiday season! Follow these important safety tips:
- Place your tree away from fireplaces, heaters and other heat sources.
- Don’t use candles on or near the tree.
- If you have a live tree, keep it in a sturdy base filled with water. Check the water level every day.
- Safely dispose of your tree before it becomes dangerously dry. Never burn the tree or tree parts in your fireplace.
- Use “UL” approved lights.
- Examine all indoor and outdoor lights for frayed cords and replace if necessary.
- Lights should not touch combustible materials.
- "Indoor" lights should never be used outdoors.
- Avoid using extension cords, but if you do, follow instructions carefully.
- Do not overload electrical circuits such as wall outlets and extension cords. Use a circuit strip.
Holiday Gift Wrap
- Keep papers, bows and trims away from heat sources such as fireplaces, space heaters, radiators, etc.
- Never burn gift wrappings in your fireplace.
Fireplaces and Wood Stoves
- Have chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned by a certified chimney specialist.
- Leave glass doors open while burning a fire to prevent creosote buildup.
- Install a stovepipe thermometer to help monitor flue temperature.
Get helpful winter safety information at www.ReadyVirginia.gov
Be ready. Be willing to help.
Virginia Disaster Relief Fund
How is the money distributed?
Fund proceeds will be distributed to local long-term recovery groups, members of the Virginia Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster and other non-profit and faith-based organizations as a grant.
Many of these groups work directly with individuals and families following a disaster.
How else can I donate?
The Virginia Disaster Relief Fund benefits projects that include: repair or rebuilding of underinsured dwellings, transportation assistance, replacing essential household items, helping renters establish new rental residence, temporary living expenses while recovering from loss, and more.
How can I donate?
If you want to help, send checks made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia with “Virginia Disaster Relief Fund” noted in the memo line to:
P.O. Box 1971
Richmond, VA 23218-1971