Virginia Citizen Corps
Virginia Citizen Corps coordinates volunteer activities through Community Emergency Response Teams, Volunteers in Police Service, Fire Corps, Neighborhood Watch and Medical Reserve Corps.
The Citizen Corps Statewide Workgroup is made up of leaders of all five Citizen Corp programs at the state level, along with critical additional personnel, and helps guide the direction of Citizen Corps in the Commonwealth.
Citizen Corps Councils and Local Emergency Planning Committees work at the local level tobuild Citizen Corps programs and involve local government, community leaders and citizens in all-hazards preparedness.
For more information, please contact the Citizen Corps Program Manager Ted Costin firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virginia Citizen Corps Best Practices
Have you discovered a way to work smarter? Do you have ideas to share? Send them to us – we will highlight them here as space allows and will credit you and your organization for material submitted.
Forming a Citizen Corps Council
- CERT Member Questionnaire [35 kb; Word doc] - Developed by Charlottesville CERT, this questionnaire will help CERT coordinators understand their team members' experience and skills.
Starting from Scratch – See how Arlington County, Virginia put together their Citizen Corps Council
- Arlington County Citizen Corps Council formation (Objectives, Structure, etc.) [140 kb; PDF]
- Proposed work plan for Council [120 kb; PDF]
- Recommendations for the Structure of Council [136 kb; PDF]
- Announcement of Council [124 kb; PDF]
Training Resources for Citizen Corps Programs
Two PowerPoint presentations have been developed to educate citizens and volunteers about how to prepare for emergencies.
These materials were prepared under a grant from FEMA’s Grant Programs Directorate, U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The Virginia Department of Emergency Management was awarded a grant to provide Protective Actions Preparedness Training based on research conducted on likely behaviors of National Capital Region residents in case of emergency and specifically in case of “dirty bomb” attacks.
- Ready Virginia/Citizen Corps/CERT Emergency Preparedness Training (5.7 mb ppt)
- Citizen Corps Virginia Protective Actions Training (2.3 MB ppt)
- Handouts on protective actions/dirty bombs can be downloaded in: English/Spanish | English/Chinese | English/Vietnamese | English/Korean | English/Arabic.
Promoting and Growing Your Citizen Corps Programs
- Citizen Corps Fact Sheet: Questions and Answers [63 kb; PDF]
- Media Relations 101[77 kb; PDF]
- Media Spokesperson Tips[54 kb; PDF]
- Key Talking Points for Citizen Corps[47 kb; PDF]
- Virginia Beach Emergency Management Update [695kb; PDF] for more.
- CERT Welcome Letter – developed by Arlington County, VA [328 kb; word doc]
- CERT Volunteer Job Description – developed by Virginia Beach, VA [168 kb; PDF]
- Arlington County Office of Emergency Management: Emergency Guide [1.2 mb; PDF]
- Citizen Corps Council 2004 Annual Report Presented to the Alexandria City Council [90 kb; PDF]
- Chesapeake CERT Operating Standards [177 kb; PDF]
- CERT Tornado Day 2004 Activities – summary and photos of CERT activities around the state [148 kb; PDF]