The material contained in the VDEM Web site is provided for the official use of our local and state government partners and as a public service to the citizens of Virginia. This notice addresses collection, use, security and access to information that may be obtained through your use of the site.
Information Collected and How it is Used
If you do nothing but browse or download information, we automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
- The Internet domain and IP address from which you access our site;
- The type of browser and operating system you used;
- The date and time you visited this site;
- The pages visited; and
- If you linked from another Web site, the address of that Web site.
We continually analyze usage trends for our Web site to better understand how our customers are accessing information and determine more effective ways of disseminating preparedness messages. The information in our Web logs is not personally viewable and no attempt is made to link it with the individuals who browse our site.
If you send an e-mail message during your visit, the e-mail address and message contents (including audio, video, and graphic information formats) will be collected. We will then use your e-mail address to respond to your query, improve or enhance our Web site content or distribute electronic news releases to you as a subscriber to our VDEM E-Mail News Release Flash Program and will not provide it to any other organization.
VDEM does not collect personal information, but is subject to the requirements for administering information systems as established in the Virginia Privacy Protection Act, Chapter 26 of Title 2.1 of the Code of Virginia. Pages that appear after you click on a link may be controlled by a different agency or entity, whose practices are not under VDEM's control.
In certain applications user information is stored as "cookies", which are then sent back and stored on the user's computer. No user information is gathered through cookies on the VDEM Web site. If cookies are used at any time in the future, VDEM will acknowledge that practice here.
Web Site Security
Our Internet Web hosting provider maintains security standards and procedures regarding unauthorized access to ensure that this service remains available to all users, and to prevent unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Information on individuals causing damage to the web page will be traced and released to the appropriate legal bodies (such as the State Police) to investigate suspected or alleged criminal activity.
Some files may require the use of a plug-in for execution. The following plug-ins may be used to view these files.
- Adobe Portable Document Format files (.pdf) - Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft Word documents (.doc) - Word Viewer
- Microsoft Excel spreadsheets (.xls) - Excel Viewer
- Microsoft PowerPoint presentations (.ppt) - PowerPoint Viewer
- WinZip files (.zip) - WinZip
VDEM makes every effort to include the most timely and accurate preparedness and response information and to correct errors brought to our attention. Though the information on this site has been compiled from sources deemed to be reliable, VDEM makes no guarantee as to, and assumes no responsibility for, its accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness.
Hyperlinks to other sites are included in a good-faith effort to provide visitors with further or more complete information. Inclusion of a link is not intended as an endorsement of views, products or services offered by the author or organization operating the site.
Information presented on the VDEM Web site is considered to be in the public domain and may be distributed or copied. However, we do request appropriate byline/photo/image credits for dissemination of these resources.
External Links Policy
The VDEM Web site provides links to other Internet Web sites that might be of interest to our visitors. VDEM is not responsible for the content of these external Web sites, nor does a link imply VDEM’s endorsement or recommendation of the organization.
If you find that a link no longer functions, please notify us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link suggestions are welcome. Each request for a link on our Web site will be reviewed on an individual basis as time and space allow. VDEM reserves the right to refuse any request to add a link to its Web site.
How we choose our links
- VDEM includes links to sites that meet some or all of the following criteria:
- provide information that supports our agency’s mission;
- provide accurate and reliable information that is relevant to our visitors;
- clearly identify the sources of information on the site;
- identify site mandate, scope and objectives;
- identify sources of funding and sponsorship;
- identify the author or responsible organization and provides information about their credentials and contact information;
- provide information that is reasonably current and is reviewed and updated regularly;
- are well-organized and easy to use; or
- are a “best in class” source of a particular body of information.
VDEM will not link to:
- sites with the sole purpose of soliciting business;
- a site with information that is out of date, inaccurate or misleading; or
- a site that offers information already provided in superior form by an existing link.
Comments about the VDEM Web site or the information presented in this Privacy Notice can be directed to:
By Telephone: (804) 897-6510
By Mail: Web Site Coordinator (email@example.com)
Virginia Department of Emergency Management
10501 Trade Court
Richmond, Virginia 23236-3713