Applying for jobs at VDEM
Use the Virginia Recruitment Management System website to view and apply for all VDEM job openings.
VDEM offers a comprehensive process to help orient new employees and to help them navigate their first year.
Before arriving for your first work day at VDEM, all new employees will:
- View the Welcome Video
- Download and complete the New Employee in-processing packet below, and bring the completed forms (as indicated) with you. If you are unable to print the documents, please contact the VDEM HR representative and the sponsor named in your welcome letter.
VDEM Reservist Cadre
The Reservist Cadre provides additional personnel to support the state’s actions in a disaster or as needed. We are currently accepting applications for all reservist positions.
Successful applicants must be available for duty on short notice and willing to travel overnight. A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record is required. Applicants must be able to pass a fingerprint-based criminal history check.
- Knowledge of federal, state, local policies and procedures including principles of emergency management.
- Computer and data entry skills and experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to coordinate and manage a wide range of functions under high-stress conditions.
- Ability to research, analyze and manage detailed information.
- Ability to organize and coordinate multiple tasks and prepare reports.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with the public and government officials.
- Fluency in writing and speaking Spanish is a plus.
Completion of the following FEMA Independent Study Courses is preferred:
- 100.a – Introduction to ICS (Incident Command System).
- 200.a – ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incident.
- 700.a – National Incident Management System (NIMS) – An Introduction.
- 800.b – National Response Framework – An Introduction.
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer.