“Drop, Cover and Hold On” - Drop down, take cover under a sturdy desk, table or bench, or against an inside wall and hold on.
- Do not use elevators.
- Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls.
- Stay away from bookcases or furniture that are not secure and could fall.
- Stay indoors until the shaking stops and you’re sure it’s safe to exit.
- Stay outdoors, do not go inside.
- If you are outdoors, find a clear spot away from buildings, trees and utility lines.
- Listen to and become familiar with your public transportation emergency plans.
- When shaking stops, follow driver or operator’s safety instructions.
IN A CAR
- Stop as quickly as safety permits: keep roads clear for emergency vehicles.
- Avoid stopping near or under buildings, trees, overpasses and utility lines.
- Proceed cautiously after the earthquake has stopped, watching for road and bridge damage.
- Do not attempt to drive across bridges or overpasses that have been damaged.
- Listen to your car radio for instructions from emergency officials and local media.
- Do not get out of your car if downed power lines are across it. Wait to be rescued.