FY23 Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)
Cities, Counties, Towns, Planning Districts, State Agencies, Tribal Government
November 22, 2023
FMA Grant Intent
The intent of the grant, Flood Mitigation Assistance Program (FMA), is to provide funding for projects to either reduce or eliminate the risk of repetitive flood damage to buildings insured by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
For more information on the FMA program, please visit: https://www.fema.gov/grants/mitigation/floods
FY 2023 Pre-Application Deadline to VDEM: October 15, 2023 5:00 PM Eastern Time. Full Application Deadline to VDEM: November 22, 2023 5:00 PM Eastern Time. This will give VDEM time to review all applications, request additional information, and submit all project sub-applications through the FEMA GO system by FEMA’s application deadline of February 2024.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Alex Krupp, Deputy State Hazard Mitigation Officer, at (804) 213-6524 or email@example.com.
Eligible Project Types
- Individual Flood Mitigation Projects
- Property Acquisition and Structure Demolition or Relocation
- Structure Elevation
- Mitigation Reconstruction
- Dry Floodproofing (non-residential structures)
- Infrastructural, Structural, and Non-Structural Retrofitting
- Soil Stabilization
- Community Flood Mitigation Projects: are local level drainage/flood control projects to improve drainage and reduce flood risk for communities and can include numerous activities such as drainage pipes, pump stations, topographic grading, seawalls, marsh restoration, and other nature based solutions.
- Flood Mitigation Planning Activities
- Project Scoping
- Technical Assistance
- Management Costs
Who can apply?
- Local governments, including cities, townships, counties, special district governments, state agencies, and Federally recognized tribes (who can choose to apply as an applicant or subapplicant) are subapplicants and must submit applications through their respective qualifying agency (VDEM).
- FOR HOMEOWNERS: Those who wish to apply for grant funding assistance for elevation, acquisition and demolition or relocation, or mitigation reconstruction of their home should contact their local government’s grants representative for information on how to participate. Individual property owners must apply through an eligible subapplicant to be considered for funding opportunities.
Additional Eligibility Criteria
- All subapplicants must be participating in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), and not be withdrawn, on probation or suspended. Structures identified in the subapplication must have an NFIP policy in effect at the application start date and must maintain it through completion of the mitigation activity and for the life of the structure.
- Subapplicants must have a FEMA-approved Local or Tribal Hazard Mitigation Plan by the application deadline and at the time of obligation of grant funds for mitigation projects (with the exception of mitigation planning).
- While community flood mitigation projects are only eligible for 75% Federal cost share, FEMA may contribute a higher Federal cost share for individual mitigation projects that include Repetitive Loss (RL) or Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL) properties.
How To Apply?
All project pre-applications, applications, and supporting documentation must be submitted through VDEM’s grants management portal at https://vdem.emgrants.gov. If you do not currently have an active account, you can register for a new account through this portal as well.
Eligible applicants must submit a pre-application through https://vdem.emgrants.gov for consideration.
After a pre-application is reviewed for eligibility and processed by VDEM, you will be prompted to complete a project application which will require detailed scope of work, project cost, and other pertinent information necessary to qualify for consideration by FEMA following submittal.
- FEMA Hazard Mitigation Assistance Guidance
- FEMA Hazard Mitigation Guidance Addendum
- FY 2021 Individual Flood Mitigation Assistance Fact Sheet
- FY 2021 Community Flood Mitigation Assistance Fact Sheet