FMA Grant Intent
The intent of FMA is to take action to reduce the risk of future flooding to structures that are insured through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Project applications may include insured and non-insured structures. The NFIP is managed through the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. For more information on the NFIP, please visit: https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/dam-safety-and-floodplains/
FEMA Application Period: Opens on September 30, 2020
Application Deadline to VDEM: November 10, 2020 5:00 PM Eastern Time. This will give VDEM time to review all applications, request additional information, submit all applications through the peer review process and enter highest ranked projects in the new FEMA Go System by FEMA’s application deadline of January 29, 2021.
Eligible Project Types
- Infrastructure Protective Measures
- Floodwater Storage and Diversion
- Floodplain and Stream Restoration
- Water and Sanitary Sewer Protective Measures
- Utility Protective Measures
- Stormwater Management
- Floodproofing of Historic or Non-Residential Structures
- Strategic Acquisition and Demolitions
- Green Infrastructure to Reduce Flooding
- Residential Mitigation Reconstruction
- Residential Elevations
Who can apply?
- State-level agencies, including State institutions of higher education;
- Local jurisdictions that are participating and in good standing with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This can be verified through the FEMA Community Status Book – https://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program-community-status-book
Additional Eligibility Criteria
- All localities must have a FEMA approved local-all hazard mitigation plan prior to application, and the project must be identified in the mitigation strategy;
- The project must conform with the Commonwealth of Virginia Hazard Mitigation Plan;
- Structural projects must be cost effective, demonstrated through a benefit cost analysis (BCA); and,
- Comply with program regulations in the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Guidance (see resources below)
How To Apply?
The VDEM grants portal is currently accepting pre-applications/applications for this cycle. VDEM encourages applicants to submit pre-applications as soon as possible so VDEM grant administrators can determine eligibility prior to being prompted to submit an application. All project applications, and supporting documentation, must be submitted through the https://mitigationva.org by November 10, 2020 at 5pm.
Cost Share Requirement
The cost-share of the whole project is dependent on the properties included in each application. Properties included in project applications that are repetitive loss may receive a 90% federal share. Properties included in project applications that are severe repetitive loss properties may receive a 100% federal share. Properties included in an application that are not repetitive loss or severe repetitive loss, but have an NFIP insurance policy, will have a 75% federal cost-share.
Grant History and Announcements