Ed Porner joined Virginia Department of Emergency Management in 2016 and currently serves as the Director of the Recovery and Resilience Division. Before joining VDEM, he served 29 years in the United States Coast Guard and the FBI conducting law enforcement, search and rescue, disaster assistance, migrant interdiction operations, and SAR/LE training throughout the United States and in 29 countries.
Positions and Accomplishments:
-FBI Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force
-Several positions in the United States Coast Guard to include:
- Military and Law Enforcement Liaison Officer, United States Interests Section, Havana Cuba.
- Financial Manager, Coast Guard Atlantic Area
- Operations Officer, Coast Guard Cutter CAMPBELL
- Major Cutter Forces Manager, Coast Guard Atlantic Area
- Weapons Officer, Coast Guard Cutter FORWARD
- Team Leader, International Maritime Law Enforcement and Training Team.
- MBA, College of William and Mary
- BA (Business Administration), Averett University
- AS (Mathematics), Lamar University
- Naval War College
- Numerous professional certifications
Ed is married and has three children. He is an avid pilot, enjoys camping and volunteers with the Civil Air Patrol and the Food Bank of SE Virginia.