VDEM Reservist Cadre
The Reservist Cadre provides additional personnel to support the state’s actions in a disaster or as needed. We are currently accepting applications for all reservist positions.
Successful applicants must be available for duty on short notice and willing to travel overnight. A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record is required. Applicants must be able to pass a fingerprint-based criminal history check.
- Knowledge of federal, state, local policies and procedures including principles of emergency management.
- Computer and data entry skills and experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to coordinate and manage a wide range of functions under high-stress conditions.
- Ability to research, analyze and manage detailed information.
- Ability to organize and coordinate multiple tasks and prepare reports.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with the public and government officials.
- Fluency in writing and speaking Spanish is a plus.
Completion of the following FEMA Independent Study Courses is preferred:
- 100.a – Introduction to ICS (Incident Command System).
- 200.a – ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incident.
- 700.a – National Incident Management System (NIMS) – An Introduction.
- 800.b – National Response Framework – An Introduction.
To apply, complete a state application, print it out and mail it to VDEM Headquarters.
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer.