Registering for a course requires that you have an active account on the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Learning Center (COVLC or VLC). If you are currently or were previously associated with a state agency, or if you are affiliated with Fire Programs, you do not need to request a new account; instead please email LMShelp@vdem.virginia.gov and we will grant access to view and register for VDEM courses. If you do not have an account, you must request one to be created to access the VLC. Only students who have never had a VLC account before need to request a new account. You will find a job aid at the bottom of the page and a new account can be requested here.
Note: Some programs require you to apply for admission as a first step toward registering. The application for admission process allows the admissions committee to verify your eligibility and qualifications. If you need help or have questions about course registration, please email LMShelp@vdem.virginia.gov or call the LMS help desk phone number at (804) 267-7697.
Updated Instructions (March 10, 2023)
While we are pleased to announce the Commonwealth of Virginia Learning Center (COVLC) upgrade is complete and is now available for use, we ask for patience as our Academic Support Technicians navigate the new system and how it will change some of our processes. To the best of our knowledge, all your account/transcript information should have transferred over from the previous platform. The following information is being provided to assist you in gaining access to the system where you can resume any pending actions or complete any upcoming training events.
- Overview video. Please take time to watch the Overview video at one of the following locations. The Overview video explains how to log in and navigate in the upgraded COVLC.
- YouTube – click here (this view will not give you credit on your COVLC transcript). COVLC – click here (use this view to get credit on your COVLC transcript).
- Login to your COVLC account at COVLC.virginia.gov
- Password requirements. You will be required to change your password on your first attempt to login. The minimum password length is now 14 characters and should include all of the following:
- Special character (such as @! #, or %)
- Uppercase and lowercase character
- Numeric character (0-9)
- Our agency COVLC Domain Administrators are Shannon Sullivan (primary) and Tamara DelRosario (alternate). Please contact our Domain Administrators via email at LMSHelpdesk@vdem.virginia.gov with any questions or issues. Please do not reach out via their personal email addresses. We anticipate responses will be handled in the order they are received within 5 business days.
Please note that the system will potentially be bogged down with the influx of traffic as it gets back up and running and can be affected by things like connectivity and accessing the system from a VPN connection. As a reminder, while our Academic Support Technicians are navigating the new system, please exercise patience as we may encounter new and unforeseen issues.