WHEN: Tuesday, March 8, 2022, 8:00 AM – Thursday, March 10, 2022, 5:00 PM
WHERE: 511 Oyster Point Rd, Newport News, Virginia 23602, United States
About this event
Purpose: This course in the Emergency Management Basic Academy is designed to provide the participants with an overview of scientific principles and concepts that shape our increasingly dangerous world. The contents of the course include the following:
- Introduction to Science of Disaster provides a definition and benefits of science.
- Earth Science and National Hazards describes how the Earth’s design sets the stage for the world’s natural hazards.
- Science of Natural Hazards describes the scientific basis of common natural hazards.
- Prediction gives us the capability to expect the unexpected.
- Physical Science and Implications for Emergency Management identifies how emergency management can benefit from knowledge of the physical science of hazards.
- Biological and Chemical Threats identifies the scientific basis of biological and chemical threats.
- Explosive Threats identifies the scientific basis of those threats.
- Radiological and Nuclear Threats identifies the scientific basis of those threats.
Target Audience: This course is intended for newly appointed emergency managers. To register, log in to the Commonwealth of Virginia Learn Center: https://covlc.virginia.gov/. You must register for each course individually. If you need assistance, please contact the Help Desk at email@example.com.
Prerequisite: L0101 Foundations of Emergency Management is recommended.