Tornadoes, tropical storms and hurricanes, heatwaves and other events can all cause power outages that can last for days or weeks.
GET READY FOR A POWER OUTAGE
- Listen to local TV or radio for information about the power outage.
- Maintain a backup of all critical files on your computer.
- Plug computers and televisions into surge protectors, or unplug them.
- Charge any batteries you need to run portable electronic devices that you use regularly.
- Make sure you can find your emergency supply kit in the dark.
- Use a flashlight; candles can ignite a gas leak or cause a fire.
- Be safe with generators and space heaters.
- Leave one light turned on so you know when power is restored.
- Stay off the roads.