RICHMOND – 12:00 Noon, October 12, 2016.  In the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew, individuals, localities and the Commonwealth are beginning the process of recovery. State and local governments are working together to coordinate damage assessments to determine if the Commonwealth will be eligible for federal disaster assistance.

If your home was damaged by the storm, there are several actions you need to take as we begin to recover together.

Returning home:

  • Beware of structural damage before re-entering your home.
  • Ensure you take proper steps to clean up flood damage.
  • If you are provided with a clean-up kit and are unable to use it to a disability or medical issue, contact your local government for assistance. Local contact numbers are provided below.
  • Throw away food that has come in contact with floodwaters or food that has spoiled due to power loss.
  • Prevent mold and remove wet contents immediately. Wet carpeting, furniture, bedding, and any other items holding moisture or water can develop mold within 24 to 48 hours.
  • See here for additional flood information and guidance

If you have flood or renter’s insurance:

  • File your flood insurance or renter’s insurance claim as soon as possible.
  • If you are renter, also contact your landlord to report flooding or structural damage. Landlords are only responsible for the building, not personal belongings.
  • Make sure to have your information ready when you call:
    • The name of your insurance company;
    • Your policy number;
    • And a telephone number and/or email address where you can be reached.
  • You do not need to wait for a Presidential (federal) emergency declaration to the file a claim. This step is always your first step even if you anticipate applying for federal assistance, should it become available.
  • Take photos and make a list of damaged property and items. Include age and value if possible.

See more information about the National Flood Insurance Program, or call 1-800-621-3362.

Contact your local government to report your damage. Regardless of whether your loss is covered by insurance, you still need to notify your local government to report your damage.  It is critical that you contact your local government to report your damage so that your home’s damage will be assessed and documented.

If your home or business was damaged during the storm, below are helpful hints and information to follow to protect yourself and your property from additional damage.

Below is the list of contact numbers and websites for information and to report damages:

Accomack              (757) 787-3610

Chincoteague         (757) 336-6519

Chesapeake            (757) 382-2489

Franklin                 (757) 562-8680

Gloucester             (804) 693-3000

Hampton                (757) 727-8311

Isle of Wight         (757) 365-6308

James City             (757) 564-2140

Lancaster               (804) 462-5129

Middlesex              (804) 758-4715

Newport News      Local 311

Norfolk                  (757) 664-6510

Northampton         (757) 678-0442

Northumberland    (804) 580-7666

Poquoson               (757) 868-3000

Portsmouth            (757) 393-8533    (Website Form)

Richmond County        (804) 333-5089

Southampton         (757) 562-8680

Suffolk                  (757) 923-2350

Surry                      (757) 294-5264

Virginia Beach       (757) 385-3111

Westmoreland       (804) 493-0130

Williamsburg         (757) 220-6220

York                      (757) 890-3300


Joint Information Cetner – (804) 371-7215 for public information officers
More disaster info:  @VDEM on Twitter or vaemergency on Facebook

Recent Posts